Tokyo, Japan – 3 December 2014: Sosei Group Corporation (“Sosei”; TSE Mothers Index: 4565) confirms that Ultibro® Breezhaler® has today been launched by Pfizer Limited (“Pfizer”) in the UK.
Under the terms of an exclusive UK promotional agreement signed between Pfizer and Novartis in September 2014, Ultibro® Breezhaler® is the latest innovative dual bronchodilator therapy to be made available for use by healthcare professionals across the UK to support the treatment of COPD patients.
COPD is the fifth leading cause of death in the UK, claiming more lives than breast, bowel or prostate cancer, and an estimated 3.7 million people live with COPD in the UK.1 The UK market is estimated to be the second largest globally in terms of COPD market value2.
1. Invisible Lives Report. British Lung Foundation. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A% 2F%2Fwww.blf.org.uk%2FFiles%2F94ff4ae1-1858-485f-ae85-a06200ded618%2FInvisible-Livesreport.pdf&ei=kKN4VOHVE82yafyYgrgO&usg=AFQjCNFQTAhtUqz8SxBsuI7N2d2mLII4A&sig2=g0HjcqIKOWCTjwRxJh8f4w . [Accessed November 2014]
2. IMS PADDS Qtrly, Medical March 2014. COPD Only Indication: ICD10 – J42, J43, J44
3. Ultibro Breezhaler EU Summary of Product Characteristics. [Online] 3 October 2013. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR__Product_Information/human/002679/WC500151255.pdf [Accessed 23 July 2014].
4. Vogelmeier C et al. Once-daily QVA149 provides clinically meaningful improvements in lung function and clinical outcomes versus placebo, indacaterol, glycopyrronium, tiotropium and salmeterol/fluticasone in patients with COPD. [ATS abstract 40759; Session C45; Date: May 21, 2013 Time: 8:15 -10:45].
5. Vogelmeier C et al. Once-daily QVA149 provides clinically meaningful improvements in lung function and clinical outcomes. [ERS 2013 abstract 851178; Session 82; Date: September 8, 2013 Time: 12:50-14:40].
6. Banerji D et al. Dual bronchodilation with once-daily QVA149 improves dyspnea and health status and reduces symptoms and rescue medication use in patients with COPD: the IGNITE trials. [ERS 2013 abstract 851388; Session 346; Date: September 10, 2013 Time: 8:30-10:30].
7. Global Alliance Against Chronic Respiratory Diseases (GARD). Global surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases: a comprehensive approach. Available at: http://www.who.int/gard/publications/GARD_Manual/en/. [Accessed 23 July 2014].
8. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Updated 2014. http://www.goldcopd.org/uploads/users/files/GOLD_Report2014_Feb07.pdf [Accessed 23 July 2014].
9. Fletcher MJ et al. COPD Uncovered: An International survey on the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on a working age population. BMC Public Health 2011;11:612.
10. daCosta M et al. The burden of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among employed adults. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2012;7:211-219. Published online 2012 March 19. doi: 10.2147/COPD.S29280. [Accessed 23 July 2014].